This booklet of ring projects is suitable for beginners to do after the beginner’s book. It also looks at key basic shaping skills which are useful for all abilities.
• Adjustable ring is a simple way to make a ring to fit a number of different sizes. Other decoration could be added to the front instead of the spiral. Accurate marking and cutting out is required.
• Convex and concave rings this project practices using the fly-press to create different shaped bands. This is a useful process to apply in other projects.
• Spinner ring this project shows how the fly-press technique can be used to create a spinner ring. The ability to make accurate sized rings is tested here.
• Raindrops ring is a project using applied chased decoration on a simple band to create an interesting design. Accurate and controlled use of punches is needed.
• Simple stone set ring explores how to add a stone setting to a simple band. Skill at judging soldering temperature is required.
• Cheat’s Russian wedding ring is an easier version of the ‘D’ wire Russian ring in book one. It tests the ability to make jump-rings carefully.
The instructions are set out assuming that you are attending classes, so from time to time the instructions will include asking for a demonstration.
The material requirements are set out at the start of each project.
The skills covered in this book include:
Cutting sheet with shears
Annealing & Pickling
Multiple Solder joints and solder temperatures
Filing & finishing
Planishing and chasing textures
Texturing with the rolling mill
Using the fly-press
Using formers for forming & shaping
Using pliers for forming & shaping
Accurate measuring and marking out
Making & sawing jump-rings.
THE PROJECTS IN THIS BOOK ARE SKILL LEVEL 1 – BEGINNER & SKILL LEVEL 2 – FIRST STAGE