Your Learning progression:
This booklet of projects is an optional extra to run along-side the main workbooks. It has been designed to offer a selection of different construction techniques, relating to the main workbooks. All the projects have a theme featuring crosses.
In this booklet the projects are skill level 2, 3 & 4 and follows on after the beginner’s book – it assumes that basics like when to pickle, drilling, sawing and making jump rings is already learned.
- The claw set pendant is the introduction to prong stone setting, this first attempt could be made from copper and a glass or plastic stone as a practice piece to get started. It demonstrates a very simple way to create claw setting.
- The twisted vine pendant shows how to use the wire twisting technique from book 2, adapted to make an interesting organic pendant. Skilled soldering ability is required.
- The celtic cross pendant shows how to design a complex looking cross which is actually easy to cut out. An optional stone setting is incorporated in to the design.
- The filigree cross pendant uses the rolling mill to adapt wire to create filigree components. Careful use of pliers is needed to manipulate the wires.
- The inlay cross earrings demonstrates how to cut out mirrored components and flush solder sheet together. Careful finishing is needed for this project.
The material requirements are set out at the start of each project alongside a skill level guide.
The skills covered in this book include:
Annealing & Pickling
Assessing solder temperatures
Multiple Solder joints
Mirrored inlay technique
Using pliers for forming & shaping
Cutting sheet with a piercing saw and snips
Making jump rings / findings
Texturing & flattening with the rolling mill
Accurate measuring and marking out
Using bezel strip
Making rub over settings and simple prong settings
THE PROJECTS IN THIS BOOK ARE SKILL LEVEL 2 – FIRST STAGE through to SKILL LEVEL 4 – ADVANCED – Sign up to our mailing list for updates about new workbooks and a monthly free project download.